If you’ve never had Dynamite sauce before, I highly suggest you follow my recipe here and dunk your face in a bucket of it or drink it my the glassful. This miracle condiment comes second to ketchup in my world of dipping sauces and reasons to get up in the morning. A spicy and savoury blend of Japanese Kewpie mayonnaise and tongue tickling Sriracha with the inclusion of a few secret ingredients make the ultimate dipping sauce so versatile that it can accompany anything. For this recipe, I modify my dynamite sauce recipe to bring it up to the next level to make my awesome baked mussels.
Recipe for dynamite sauce (spicy mayo)
5 cooked, peeled and deveined shrimp (chopped)
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
Slices of lemon for garnish
10 cleaned mussels on the half shell
Combine the spicy mayo mixture ingredients and the chopped shrimp and combine in a bowl and set aside. Preheat oven or BBQ to 350 degrees.
For simplicity sake, I used frozen New Zealand mussels. If you use fresh mussels, I ain’t mad at ya, make sure to clean them properly. Blanch them until they just begin to open and remove one side of the shell. Spoon the spicy mayo and shrimp mixture onto the mussels and generously sprinkle the bread crumbs.
Bake in the oven (on a tray) or BBQ (directly on the grill) for 8-10 minutes or until the bread crumb crust turns golden brown. Garnish with a sliver of lemon and serve immediately.
This recipe is foolproof and ridiculously simple. With the addition of shrimp to the dynamite sauce, it adds a natural sweetness that’s balance by the savouriness of the mayo and heat from the Sriracha. The breadcrumb crust imparts a great crunchy texture to each bite. Be sure to top each mussel with just a sliver of lemon to cut through the thickness of the mayo.
Try it and let me know how it goes!
Having trouble finding a particular ingredient? Check out my Asian grocery store round up to find a market near you!
- 1/4 cup kewpie mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon massago (orange capelin caviar)
- 1 stalk green onion (greens only – thinly sliced)
- 5 cooked, peeled and deveined shrimp (chopped)
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- Slices of lemon for garnish
- 10 cleaned mussels on the half shell
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a bowl, mix together mayo, hot sauce, massago, shrimp and green onions. Chill for 15 minutes.
- Spoon the spicy mayo and shrimp mixture onto the mussels and generously sprinkle bread crumbs on top.
- Bake in the oven or BBQ for 8-10 minutes or until the bread crumb crust turns golden brown. Garnish with a sliver of lemon and serve immediately.
- Remain Sexy